Friday, September 15, 2006

Dutch Crunch

Many times when I go to a deli for a custom sandwich, I opt for the Dutch crunch roll. Whatever the required treatment to get the top of the roll to do that, I enjoy the difference in texture. Sure, sometimes it cuts up the roof of my mouth, but it's all in the enjoyment of the sandwich.

The Whole Foods in Redwood City, however, apparently had different ideas about what the 'crunch' in Dutch crunch actually means. The whole roll was sort of soft and squishy, like you'd expect from a giant corporate bakery, rather than some local "micro-bakery". And the critical bit--the Dutch crunch--wasn't crunchy at all! Perhaps they decided in a kindler, gentler way, that the risk of me abrading the roof of my mouth with the top of the roll was of paramount importance. Whatever the reason for the wimpy Dutch, I confess I was a bit disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home