Monday, October 22, 2007

Cravings vs. Traffic

With friends in town last week, I was planning on using it as another excuse (who needs one?) to go to Salumi. The plan was to lunch there on Friday. I had two days of anticipation to build up a craving for the finnochiona (a word which still looks Irish to me) salame. My friends pre-empted me and went on Thursday instead, but that wasn't going to derail my trip to pig heaven.

On Friday a bit after the standard lunch hour (hoping to avoid the rush), I set out towards downtown. I figured I'd take Highway 99, exiting at the stadiums. Well, 99 was creeping, and I could see that the traffic was built up well over the bridge and beyond. So I did what perhaps too many others were doing, and attempted to divert to Fremont Bridge. Descending Fremont Ave from 46th took ages. So I turned off again at 39th St, heading this time for Ballard Bridge and Interbay. Of course traffic headed that way was jammed, too. When I got to Ballard Bridge, the entry roads were blocked by SPD cruises or parking trikes. The bridge was closed!

At this point, my eyes were swimming from lack of food, so I had to fall back to a reasonable alternative: the 'Mill. Had I done that from the outset, I could have eaten over an hour earlier!

I consoled myself by believing that I could eat at Salumi on Saturday. Wrong! Their hours are Tue-Fri, 11-4. But guess what I had for lunch yesterday?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home