Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Stup1d C0d3

Why is it when I'm on site with a customer that I run into stupid code problems? I guess it has something to do with the interaction of lab-grown code and the real world, but I always end up looking like an idiot. Anyway, as I'm the lead on this particular code base, it's within my power to fix it, but I spent the whole day staring at the same few lines of code until my eyes went cross. And I don't think that's something my optometrist can help me with.

1 Comments:

Blogger klbarrus said...

It's a corollary of the well known rule "don't do math in public". By yourself you can integrate over the complex plane or determine Fourier-Bessel coefficients with ease. With others watching, simple arithmetic becomes impossible.

Similarly, while you might normally fix such an easy problem with some clever assembly code, with a customer watching, following if-then branches becomes impossible. ;)

10/20/2005 06:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home