Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Teeth, Again

Like my last post about teeth, this one involves two kinds: metal and, well, the teeth-in-your-head kind (hmm, in my case, some of those are also metal... oh well, you get the idea).

Monday brought the annual 7 Hills of Kirkland ride, as well as some honored guests: Chris Parker and Karl Barrus were here to round out the cycling posse. Chris and I were feeling adventurous (read: training), so we were signed in for the Century ride, while the others were doing the traditional 7 Hills ride. The two courses stay together over the first several hills, for about 25 miles of the ride (7 Hills is 42mi). We kept a reasonable pace, making sure no one was left behind. It was fun riding as a group, setting up little pace lines here and there to cruise down the road.

Once the paths reached the divergent point, I found out why Chris has been burning up the roads in his recent tri results. He dropped something along the course; I think it was a hammer. I couldn't draft him very well when he was in aero position, but something is better than nothing! Now I know why everybody likes to ride behind me, heh. We rode through the Snohomish Valley, then back over towards Kirkland. On the last descent after Rose Hill, Chris was really flying. All that kept me going at that point was the promise of strawberry shortcake... and the after-ride BBQ!

Now for the other kind of teeth: One of my teeth on the bottom left had been a bit pressure sensitive for a few days, and a couple of times something really sweet made it ache. I was worried that decay had somehow gotten under the filling, and that I might need another root canal and crown. So on Sunday, before the start of the ride, I was chewing some gum, when it suddenly became crunchy.

Fearing that whole decay, root canal, crown scenario, while knowing that my time in town is severely limited before heading off for the big ride, I called up the dentist's office today and was able to get an appointment. Turns out some pressure on the bite had caused the filling to crack, and it wasn't a problem with decay. The dentist was able to drill out the old one, then replace it without much trouble. Yay! Now I can travel without worry. And once my face un-numbs, I can go eat the yummy sandwich I picked up from Whole Foods!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home