Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Start 'em Young

Over the past week or so, I've had a number of discussions with some friends about the self-centeredness of people these days. It manifests as a lack of common courtesy, a "me first" attitude, and general disdain for rules, laws, or other conventions that are inconvenient.

Well, it seems that they're teaching this kind of "outta my way!" mentality in pre-school these days. I was just accosted by a girl between the ages of four and six. I was attempting to walk out of the cafe, while she was coming in to place a plate in the bus tray. I did what I usually do when small children hurtle at me, and that is freeze--I don't want to inadvertently knee them in the face or something like that. As it happened, I froze in "her way". Rather than say anything or try to go around, she actually tried to brush me aside with her arm!

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul, Hallie, Charlie and Macalan said...

Perhaps it's the "my child's a saint" mother in me talking, or perhaps the hellishly long day... But, good for her for trying to clean up her own mess. I wish mine would! The 20 month old, the 3 year old or the 41 year old...

And good for you for not giving her a black eye - with your knee or your fist. I probably would have at least squeezed in a mini lecture and a death glance at the supervising adult. (hopefully there was one...)

5/23/2008 11:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home