Thursday, November 17, 2005

Don't Miss It

After spending a few days back in the Bay Area, I've realized that I don't miss it. Sure, I can talk about the sunny weather, and people in other parts of the country get jealous. But if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't be jealous.

I came to the Bay Area nearly 15 years ago. And it was during that period of rapid social development known as "freshman year" that I really got to know this place. Part of my memory association (nostalgia, if you want to call it that) with the Bay Area and Berkeley in particular is those cool, rainy fall days, football games with my college girlfriends, coming out of the computer lab into a crisp winter's night, etc. I didn't spend my first couple of college summers in Berkeley, so I didn't associate the area with that time of year. And being here for a week of 70 degree temperatures in November is just so completely jarring. I don't know if it's global warming or what, but this isn't the Berkeley I remember.

The collection of friends that I have here has, over the past few years, started to split apart and go its own way. Some couples got married, other couples broke up, some people bought houses, others moved far away. Grad school, new careers, etc have all tugged my friends to different places (whether physical or metaphorical). I've come into different spaces in my life, too. That's just the nature of life and growth and change. But it's another factor about what makes this place no longer feel like home.

What about the stomach, you ask? This week, I got my fill of most of the restaurants on my list. But today I had a craving for Seattle food. Yep, my new hometown has already imprinted itself on my appetite.

I leave for "home" (Seattle) tomorrow morning. I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sanford Owings said...

This particular craving was for a Chocolate Orange cupcake from Verite. I dig the Mill, too, but I had INO today, so I got my burger fix. At least for a couple more days. :)

11/18/2005 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home