Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Yo! E.T., Don't Call Here....

For a week and a half now, I've been living without a phone. Well, not really, since I have my cell phone. But after my DSL installation was complete, I got my gear for the VOIP connection I had ordered. Great! Got it plugged in, waited for things to settle, and then I had dial tone! Yes! But within about five minutes, I lost my Internet connection from my home LAN. Uh? That was a quick fix, but then the VOIP didn't work. Uh, I have to choose one? I choose tha INTARNET! So I unplugged the phone rig and headed for the tech support web site....

Thus began the support saga. Only *today*, 10 days later, do I find out that the IP address used by the phone accessory is the one that I had been using for my server. Well, ok, sure. I get a second one for free as part of my DSL package, so let's see, reconfigure, change firewall rules, done. No web. No surfy. No iTunes Music Store. But the phone worked! Maybe I can go back to dialup. How messed up would that be? DSL connection for VOIP to use the phone as a modem to connect at what, 56k? NO! So I'm back to no phone, and my old IP address (so the photo links at right will still work), until I get the next magic trick from the tech.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Parker said...

See, if you'd gone with a *quality* VOIP provider you might not have to choose... :)

11/10/2005 02:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home