Thursday, October 27, 2005

Uncivilized

I'm a long time fan of computer games; I got my start on an old Vic-20, typing in hundreds of lines of BASIC just to get some colored boxes to move across the screen. Naturally, I also had a penchant for coin-op games, back when there was an arcade on every corner, and we shopped for the place that gave the most tokens for $1.

Fast forward to today, and I'll admit that I have a few game titles to play on my PC, a slow, turn-based game for the Powerbook when I'm traveling, and a few games for my PS2. My game preferences don't run the same way as Karl's, though.

One of the game franchises that has been a long-running fixture in my life is Civilization. The basic idea is that you're the omnipotent ruler of a civilization starting back in 4000BC, and your goal is to either dominate the planet (its geography is not Earth's), spawn a globalizing culture, reach Alpha Centauri, or die trying. It's a game I keep going back to, because it's never the same thing twice. It's got a lot of replayability, and I like applying different strategies to each new game, as well.

So it's no surprise that I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the latest installment, Civilization IV. And I'm having no luck. First trip to the game store: "Oh, it's not here yet." "But isn't it released today?" "It's releaseed today, yes, but it won't get here until tomorrow." OK, fine. Next day: "Civ four, please!" "Did you reserve a copy?" "No." "Then I'm sorry, we're sold out." Sold out has been the story of my life for the past two days. Forget H2's, I'm the worst consumer of gas right now, praying that the next store will still have a copy.

No civilization for me!

1 Comments:

Blogger klbarrus said...

I'm a huge Civ fan as well! I play all sorts of games. ;) I played Civ2 the most, and just yesterday got my copy of Civ4 (I was one of those people who pre-ordered it and put a $5 deposit at my local Gamestop). I checked out the tutorial but wasn't really able to play it yet.

10/28/2005 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home