Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Car Part II

After I took care of the police report for the car break-in, made my way to Rand and Lex's house--they were putting me up for the evening. Rand had some heavy duty plastic and duct tape and I was able to close up the hole. Knowing that I would be heading through rain, I did my best to double-up the new "window" to ensure no leakage would occur.

While running a few errands on Tuesday before getting on the road, I noticed a bit of wind noise from the "window". To be expected, I guess. It seemed to keep out the rain, though. There was one other unexpected side effect, however. When I turned my head to check behind when changing lanes, or to parallel park, the translucent plastic looks different than the window glass, and it makes me think there's something there.

When Lex and I got back to the house after the errands, I called up AAA to submit a claim and see about getting the window fixed. When I called, they routed me to the "Glass Center", which had a few standard questions for me. My favorite question is as follows: "Was anyone injured in the incident that caused the breakage?" The response: "If the robber was injured breaking into my car, I don't care." They don't cover the theft of items in the car, so the iPod is a lost cause. This means I could upgrade when I get around to replacing it, but for now I'll just have to live without it.

I vacuumed up the broken glass and in the process found the murder weapon: a rock the size of a small orange. My poor car's main windows on the passenger side (the ones which will go up or down, not the fixed triangular window in the back) each survived a breakage attempt with the same rock. Mr. L is right: If Volvo can make a window glass that can withstand that kind of blow, why can't they put it in place for that small window segment, too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home