Sunday, December 11, 2005

House of Sandy and Fog

Because my (east-facing) bedroom window currently lacks curtains (c'monnn SANTA!), I typically rise with the sun. I've seen some truly spectacular sunrises over my time in this house. Today, however, was different. I woke up this morning to find the world shrouded in grey. And I don't mean clouds. This was different. Even the streetlamps at the corner were a bit fuzzy. At first, I thought I just had eye boogers, but determined wiping of the eyes still didn't obliterate the fuzz. It was foggy!

I love fog. It's one of the things I always remember fondly about Carmel. I can remember once walking down the street which fronts on the beach. The fog was so thick that I could hear the surf, but not see it. It has the silencing effect of a new snowfall, which is another thing I enjoy.

Since no post to this blog would be complete without some griping, here goes. The heating vents in my upstairs (including the bedroom and office) are ceiling vents. They have little pulls which are used to open or close the vent. These pulls are fabricated out of a length of chain. Something about the fabric from which my chair is constructed, or perhaps the plastic mat on which the chair sits tends to build up a bit of static charge. When I stand up to head downstairs to the kitchen, my "stand and turn" pattern brings my head into contact with the pull chain for the heating vent. And yes, you guessed it. Static discharge. Zot! Clearly, I should just remain seated at the computer. Or avoid it entirely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sanford Owings said...

As a counterpoint to that, I used to lick 9-volt batteries as a kid. Only children have to entertain themselves somehow....

12/13/2005 10:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home