Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Driving Sucks

Ordinarly, I have no problem (and even enjoy) long-haul driving trips on my own. My car has a great ride, and the seats are comfy. I've got my iPod for persistent tuneage, and I have a travel-ready bladder, inspired by Survivor (Outwit, Outplay, Outlast [tm]). So spending six (or more) hours in a row in the car usually isn't a problem for me.

Today was different.

Got a bit of a late start--I kept forgetting things in the house, so I ran back in several times to fetch things. And then traffic getting out of Seattle was bad. Since I hadn't left early enough, I got snared in commute traffic, which an accident had only made worse.

Made up some time getting towards Portland, not too bad. But then the rain begain in earnest, and slowed me down somewhat. Fortunately the Siskiyou Pass wasn't a problem, but the descent from there past Dunsmuir and Shasta into the Central Valley was problematic. Add nighttime, a torrential downpour, and twisty roads to the mix, and my usual progress was slowed down considerably.

Once I finally made it to the flats of the Central Valley, the rain had slackened, and I was able to make up some time. Nonetheless, 13-1/2 hours in a car takes it out of you. Time for bed.

But first, the lesson of the day: When your traveling companion who was going to drive with you changes their mind to decide to fly to the destination instead, take their cue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home