Sunday, January 01, 2006

Crappy New Year!

The last good New Year I had was the Y2K transition, despite the threat of imminent doom as all of the world's nuclear power plants went nova, all the planes fell out of the sky, and the rest of the world's computers sent us all back to the Stone Age. Yes, flying in the face of all of these dreadful predictions, I had a great time.

Since then, the evening of December 31 each year has been a humdrum affair, nothing really to take note of. In fact, I really don't like the whole New Year's celebration thing much. I mean, it's just another day. How often do I stay up until midnight? Just about daily. And the bit where people think they're being clever when they say "See you next year!" Yeah, it's tomorrow, dude. Just say "See you tomorrow." Jackass.

The thing that gets me most about New Years is that somehow it's become this couples thing. One fellow last night told me that he had a running string of eight New Years where he had someone to kiss at midnight, and he "wasn't about to slip this year." When did staying up until midnight a deux come into vogue? I guess I just get grumpy about the implied need for a date. I have the same complaints about Valentine's Day. Silly made up holidays!

Are these just the grumps of a single man? Perhaps. The cold I caught (exposed to four different strains during my holiday odyssey) might be a contributing factor as well. So it's not Happy New Year, it's "Hey, how about that Sunday, huh?"

Update: I should be honest here and say that I did have a decent evening this New Year's Eve, spending time in the company of some friends--old and new--but my gripes about the implications of the holiday stand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Parker said...

Heheh, a kindred spirit.

I didn't really celebrate new years. I slept through it. My DVD player broke, I've got a nasty cold, and I just didn't see what is so special about midnight.

I was a bit curious whether the leap second would screw up anything, but as I woke up the next morning, it obviously hadn't.

Hope that starting the new year with a cold is not a sign of how it'll turn out, or we're both in trouble.

1/02/2006 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Krisanne said...

I've gone for the "no hype" New Years' Eve for the last few years and it's been so much more fun. A few friends, casual dinner, maybe play games or watch Dick Clark... and it's all good. This year was my first in a "couple" and it felt about the same. Nice to have someone I was "supposed" to kiss, but it didn't feel all that different. Of course, I spent most of it in the ER... so at least *that* was different.

1/04/2006 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home