Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ministry of Sound

I found a reason to be glad for the extra time in Singapore: Ministry of Sound just opened a club here. Literally about a month ago. Being a Saturday night, it seemed the perfect choice. My coworker and I met up with a friend of his, and headed over to the club. It was only 9pm, so we paid our (cheaper) early cover charge, then headed for the exit to get our re-entry stamp.

The next order of business was food. The area that the club is situated in is actually somewhat touristy, so there were a few upscale restaurants, and we chose a Mexican one. A pitcher of margaritas and a serving of chips with good chipotle salsa got us started on a good evening. When the mains arrived, they were very tasty, too.

Headed back to the club and did our reconnaisance. The main arena, with its "electro house" show called "Filth" was where I was going to be rooted, but my friends alternated between there and the hip-hop room. There was even a "54" themed room with a lighted dance floor right out of "Saturday Night Fever".

The opening DJ was pretty good, and danceable, but the headliner was noticeably better. Once he started his set around 12:30, the place really started to jump. The VJ was also awesome; the visuals were mesmerizing, and occasionally caused me to pause in the getting on of my groove to marvel at them.

Neither Singapore nor Malaysia are places of temptation for me, in terms of the local, shall we say, "talent". The club was no different. There was nothing (except the aforementioned visuals) to distract me from the oonch-oonch.

Devotees of this blog will be disappointed if I don't do the following:

So, if you're going to a dance club, don't fin stand around and exercise your thumb by texting your friends. If you're in front of the stacks with your fingers in your ears, 'cause it's too loud, I'm going to elbow you in the head. Move! And boys, please don't just stand in the middle of the floor looking this way and that for trim, this is the dancefloor. Speaking of the floor, there was gum on it, despite the fact that this is Singapore. Silly tourists!

One thing which was really cool (literally, and figuratively) was when they blew the nitrogen coolers. You're gyrating to the groove when suddenly you feel a blast of air, woot! But then it goes cloudy as the air gets cooler. So cloudy, in fact, that you can't see your hand in front of your face, just the colors of the spots, red, yellow, green, like some bad Mardi Gras trip. And it's COLD. Just the right thing when you've been grooving for hours.

And while it's not Eve's magical wish-granting porch, my iPod did a number tonight. I realized that Prodigy hadn't come up on my random playlist in a while, so I cued The Fat of the Land. So when the DJ sampled in a bit of the opening riff from "Breathe", I thought, "nah, he's just toying with us." But a few more revolutions of the vinyl, and what do you know?! That song, cranked on club kit, rocks.

Edit: In the cold light of day, I realize that this post ended rather abruptly. So, in summary, the evening at Ministry of Sound kicked ass, and the persistent ringing in my ears was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home